In Canada, 14 percent of the population (over the age of 15) has some sort of disability. This statistic includes vision problems, mobility challenges, hearing impairments, and many other types of disabilities. Furthermore, 75 percent of disabled Canadians have more than one disability.
Given the prevalence of disability among the population, it’s crucial that Canadian businesses make every reasonable accommodation to ensure accessibility. One of the best ways to achieve this is with ADA signs, also known as ADA compliant signs.
The term refers to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). While Canada has its own legislation relating to accessibility, the ADA signs standards established in the Act are excellent guidelines for any business.
You can think of wayfinding signage as initial orientation for your visitors. When someone arrives at your building, they need to get oriented within the overall space. Some common questions are:
- Where is the parking lot?
- Which door should I use to enter?
- Where can I find the lobby? How about the reception desk?
- If I’m making a delivery, is there a deliveries or shipping area I should locate?
- In the case of a multi-building complex, what are the other buildings? What are their purposes? How do I navigate to them?
For all of these products, 3Sixty Signs will ensure that your ADA signs meet all applicable standards, including techniques such as braille, raised/tactile letters, high contrast design, large type, and more.
In this category, you’ll find ADA compliant signs that help direct visitors to certain destinations within your building. Those destinations could take many forms.
Here are just a few:
- Exit signs, directing people to the nearest exit. These can be added for visitor convenience or to meet local regulations such as fire codes.
- Directional signage for building areas, wings, zones, or divisions. For example, a medical clinic might have directional signs such as “Waiting Room,” “X-Ray Clinic,” “Patient Restrooms,” and so on.
Buildings services, facilities, and amenities. For example: cafeteria, business services center, gym, and swimming pool.
Make Your Business More Accessible with ADA Signs
Ready to enhance your company’s accessibility? 3Sixty Signs is excited to help you meet all your ADA compliant signs needs. Contact us today to discuss your signage goals and receive your complimentary quote.